EARLY BIRD 10% for enrollment in Specializing Masters and Executive Courses starting in the next months
The Specializing Master in Design for Public Space is a training program for public spaces designers in contemporary cities that comprehend theory, research, design and practical training. It is proposed to train professionals to be able to develop projects of scenarios, processes and forms of open spaces, symbolic places in which the community can recognize itself.
We are experiencing an unprecedented moment of urban and demographic growth and cities are facing important social, economic and cultural issues. We deal with the challenge of shaping spaces that respond to new collective needs and offer multiple opportunities for use. What is nowadays required is an increasingly marked flexibility: once the character of specialized places is lost, cities are asked to adapt to an ever wider number of activities: exhibitions, spectacular events, markets, parties, political events. These are places where the private and collective dimensions have to learn somehow know how to coexist.
The designer of the Public Space operates on non-built areas such as squares, streets, parks, roundabouts and other undefined urban voids, taking into consideration both the container (the built form) and the content (the uses, even temporary). The design of Public Spaces requires a complex design approach, capable of combining different factors: from the urban configuration to its role in civil life, from existing participatory processes to the processes of use that are established. The Master offers analysis tools, scenario generation and innovative concepts; develops skills in managing processes and relationships with all the players involved; deals with project cases “in the field” in which one is confronted with real stakeholders and clients. The training activity will be based on the adoption of two observation methods, two different though complementary views: one addressed to the temporary city and the other to the contemporary city. One more interested in short-term transformations and the other in deeper changes: both, however, aimed at putting the many questions of use coming from society and its new social actors at the center of these changes.
It is an innovative Specializing Master, based on the long tradition of public space developed in Italy and in Europe and which is fed on the culture that made the city of Milan a recognized capital of design in the world. The training proposal calls on an international faculty, which brings contributions from all over the world. Improving specific professional skills in a high-level academic and professional context is an opportunity that allows to gain direct experience of urban, historical and contemporary spaces, full of planning, sociality and symbolic meanings.
The Specializing Master in Design for Public Spaces in particular addresses the complexity of contemporary urban interiors by investigating some project areas:
* Contemporary public spaces: fundamentals and trends. Will be explored the practices, design approaches and needs of the project of urban space, or all outdoor areas of the city: is the project of squares, meeting places and symbolic, but also interstices, green spaces, spaces semi-public.
* Public space and participation: processes and methods. It is the area of the preparatory processes for the project, aimed at involving multiple stakeholders with human (or community) -centered design tools and approaches. It is also the context of projects that design new forms and new ways of relating between users and between users and spaces.
* Furniture and equipment, materials and new technologies for the public space. This covers the ambit of the material aspects that build a space, but also the technological components that structure the interaction. It is aimed at enhancing the perceptive and sensory components of space, with a view to environmental and social sustainability.
* Temporary installations: events and communication for the public space. It is the scope of the project of ephemeral devices to carry out temporary activities in the urban space, such as collective events of communicative, exhibition, celebratory, cultural.
The aim of the Specializing Master is to train the professional figure of the designer of urban public spaces, that is a designer able to act on the redevelopment of the non-built areas of the city: squares, systems of road spaces, interstitial or unresolved areas, gardens and urban courtyards, terrains vague.
Specific training objectives are aimed at developing the following skills:
The didactic modules will be alternated with 6 project workshops that, by activating a professional simulation, will deal with themes such as: the design of public space in the city in transformation, the temporary setting up of events, the provision and design of space for new functions; the processes of temporary transformation and involvement of the local community.
– Contemporary Urban Interior Design
– Fundamentals of Public Space
– Furniture and equipment, materials and new technologies for public space
– Public space and participation: processes and methods
– Temporary settings: events and communication for public space
– Public Space Management: procedures, regulations and challenges
Following the completion of courses and workshops, the internship brings students into direct contact with the professional world.It will take place in companies and institutions in the public and private sectors for a duration of 500 hours.
The final thesis (FTP) project involves the reworking of what has been done during the internship or the proposal of an autonomous project and its return through theoretical and design in-depth studies.
The program allows students to qualify to work in the private and public sector, both as freelance consultants and as integrated in complex organizations such as:
The Specializing Master is reserved for candidates who have a Degree in Interior Design, Architecture, Interior Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Scenography, Fine Arts. For foreign applicants, equivalent qualifications in their respective studies will be considered.
The Specializing Master Course Committee will select the students to be admitted.
To take part to the selection process, the application form must be completed online within the following deadlines:
The total cost of the course is € 12.500,00. Exempt from VAT under Article 10 of DPR 633/72.
The cost of the course is divided into: